In 2015, many countries adopted the Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG). The 17 SGDs are set by the United Nations (UN) for completion in 2030. The SDGs tackle global inequality (including hunger, poverty, education, health and resource allocation). They recognise the inter-dependence of countries and the impact of humans on the environment. The goals need to be sustainable, so that interventions will continue well into the future. The SDGs form an international health agenda; however, there are challenges to implementing them in ‘real life’ and every country is unique. Some countries will struggle because of war or conflict, underdeveloped infrastructure or poor governance and other factors that influence the determinants of health.
You will write a 1600 (+/-10%) argumentative essay on one low or lower- middle income country’s progress towards achieving SDG 6: “Ensure access to water and sanitation for all”, with a focus on either Target 1 or Target 2 (United Nations, n.d.) .
SDG 6, Target 1: “By 2030, achieve universal and equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water for all” OR SDG 6, Target 2: “By 2030, achieve access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all and end open defecation, paying special attention to the needs of women and girls and those in vulnerable situations “.
ESSAY QUESTION for Target 1: Can [your chosen country] achieve equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water for all by 2030?
ESSAY QUESTION for Target 2: Can [your chosen country] achieve access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all by 2030?
Preparation for your essay:
• Do some background research on the SDGs. The UN website http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/development-agenda/ is one source.
• Pick one low-income or lower-middle income (developing) country. You can check your country’s income classification from the World Bank (2018) country income map: http://datatopics.worldbank.org/worlddevelopment-indicators/images/figures-png/world-by-income-sdg-atlas-2018.pdf There is also a list of country classifications in the Assessments link> Assessment 1 essay. NOTE: Do not choose Malawi as your country – the example essay provided is based on Malawi.
• Search the library data base for relevant academic articles such as peer reviewed journals, using key words like: “water security AND Malawi”; “clean water AND Malawi” “potable water AND Malawi “hygiene AND sanitation AND Malwai”.
• Go to the Curtin library website and click on “Study and research guides” for information on finding journal articles, books and reports
Use the SociologicaI Imagination Template to structure your essay:
• You should discuss relevant historical, cultural and structural factors that influence the likelihood of your chosen country achieving the Target.
• After describing the relevant historical, cultural and structural factors you will critically analyse how these factors affect the likelihood of your country achieving the Target.
• You may use the SI Template overtly, using headings (e.g. Historical factors) or by signposting in your narrative (e.g. “Events in the country’s history have led to today’s …
Need help with this assignment or a similar one? Place your order and leave the rest to our experts!