1. Which one of the following nutrients is not a source of energy for the body?
2. How many cotyledons would be found in a flowering plant with nine petals on each flower and long leaves with parallel leaf veins?
3. During development, an embryo is embedded in the
4. In the context of vision, the blind spot is
A. a nontransparent area on the lens.
B. an area of the retina where rods and cones are concentrated.
C. an area of the retina where there are no rods or cones.
D. a nontransparent areas on the cornea.
5. In plants, what type of tissue is responsible for transporting water and nutrients?
6. In vitro fertilization takes place in
A. the vagina.
B. a laboratory.
C. a surrogate mother.
D. the uterus.
7. In plants, the purpose of auxins is to
A. bring about apical dominance.
B. regulate abscission.
C. produce phytochrome.
D. cause plant dormancy.
8. Which one of the following statements is true regarding voluntary and involuntary responses?
A. Involuntary responses may include the spinal cord and not the brain.
B. Involuntary responses are part of the autonomic system.
C. Voluntary responses originate in the sensory receptors.
D. Voluntary responses control the activity of glands.
9. During transpiration, water exits the leaf via the
10. Annual rings in woody stems are caused by an increase in rings of the
A. secondary xylem.
B. primary phloem.
C. primary xylem.
D. secondary phloem.
11. Which one of the following components makes up the largest portion of plasma?
12. Allergies are caused by which of the following?
A. Strong toxins in the environment
B. Reactions to antigens
C. Autoimmune diseases
D. Ingesting IgA in breast milk
13. Which series best illustrates the pathway of blood flow in a closed circulatory system?
A. Heart, veins, arteries, capillaries
B. Heart, veins, capillaries, arteries
C. Heart, arteries, veins, capillaries
D. Heart, arteries, capillaries, veins
14. Which one of the following events occurs first in a nerve impulse?
A. Potassium ions move to the outside of a neuron.
B. Sodium ions move to the inside of a neuron.
C. Potassium ions move to the inside of a neuron.
D. Sodium ions move to the outside of a neuron.
15. The chamber of the heart that receives blood from the pulmonary veins is the
A. right ventricle.
B. right atrium.
C. left ventricle.
D. left atrium.
16. Which one of the following statements accurately describes a characteristic of red blood cells?
A. They lack hemoglobin.
B. They’re convex disks with a large nucleus.
C. They’re agents of inflammation.
D. They transport oxygen to all the cells of the body.
17. During plant development, one function of the cotyledon of a eudicot is to
A. serve as a seed leaf to carry on photosynthesis.
B. protect the embryo as it develops inside a seed.
C. supply food to the developing embryo.
D. become the seed coat.
18. Jenna says that an example of homeostasis is when body temperature is maintained at about 37° C. Allen says homeostasis is when breathing rate increases along with exercise. Who is correct?
A. Both are correct.
B. Neither is correct.
C. Only Jenna is correct.
D. Only Allen is correct.
19. What happens when the lungs recoil?
A. Inspiration occurs.
B. Ribs and diaphragm muscles contract.
C. Internal respiration occurs.
D. Expiration occurs.
20. Cells with similar structures and functions work together to form
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.