Operations management refers to the administration of business practices to create the highest level of efficiency possible within an organization. Operations management is concerned with converting materials and labor into goods and services as efficiently as possible to maximize the profit of an organization.
Operations management is chiefly concerned with planning, organizing and supervising in the contexts of production, manufacturing or the provision of services. As such, it is delivery-focused, ensuring that an organization successfully turns inputs to outputs in an efficient manner. The inputs themselves could represent anything from materials, equipment and technology to human resources such as staff or workers.
- Explain the role and responsibilities of an operations manager within an organization. Critically evaluate how the above role and responsibilities should vary from service organizations to manufacturing organizations. Support your answer with real world examples. (15 marks)
- Describe the input-process-output model of a selected organization. Draw Process Flow charts and Process Interaction charts to describe three processes of it. By explaining appropriate theories re-engineer the above processes for improvements. ( 25 marks)
- Given below are some of the critical decision points used to assess the strength of an operation strategy in an organization. Use them to critically assess the operation strategy of a selected organization. Strengthen your answer with appropriate examples. (20 marks)
- product design process
- location of facilities
- layout design
- customer-focused process design
- empowered front-line staff
- Critically describe the purpose and importance of Capacity Management in an organization. Support your answer with an appropriate examples for :
- demand management practices and forecasting techniques
- flexibility of the operations strategy to meet demand fluctuations
- business expansion considerations
- complementary demand patterns to optimize organization resources including human resources
- Describe the following processes in an organization with an appropriate examples. (20 marks)
- Supply chain management
- Quality management
- Innovation , Technology and Knowledge management
- Inventory management
- Customer service management
Need help with this assignment or a similar one? Place your order and leave the rest to our experts!