You have recently been elected as a Republican to the Texas Senate from a competitive district (even number of Democrats, Republicans and Independents) just outside of Dallas. One of the first bills that you must vote on is House Bill 3- a Bill to require the death penalty for anyone convicted of selling opioids for a third time. Your constituents support the bill as does the Governor your party, but you oppose it on grounds that the death penalty should be reserved for heinous crimes (pre-meditated murder). The Speaker of the House opposes the bill as well.
In explaining how you will vote on the bill, be sure to explain the following:
- List and discuss each representational role (trustee, delegate, politico). What Representational Role you will adopt (trustee, delegate or politico). (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slide 4-25)
- How will the Speaker of the House, the Lt. Governor and Governor of Texas influence the fate of the bill? (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slides 4-9, 4-10, 4-18 & 4-22 )
- How do you think constituents might try to influence your vote? (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slide 4-20)
- Which factors noted above and in your notes (constituents, governor, party leaders and your own opinion) will influence your vote? Rank them in importance. (Unit 4, Written Lectures, Slide 4-20, 4-21)
- Will you vote for or against the bill? Please explain your answer thoroughly. You should refer back to the representational role here. (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slide 4-25)