For this nation to be truly successful in the ongoing fight against crime, many argue that the exclusionary rule needs to be abolished. Others argue that the U.S. Supreme Court has already eroded the Fourth Amendment and the exclusionary rule significantly, and nothing more needs to be done. The task for your group is to recommend, as a group, a policy position on the subject of the exclusionary rule. Should the exclusionary rule be expanded, contracted, or should it remain in its current state?
Your instructor will divide you into small groups of 4–5 people. You are to use the Small Group Discussion Board to discuss and debate the issues in this task. On the Small Group Discussion Board, using the Library, Internet, or any other available materials, complete the following:
- Make a post of 5–7 paragraphs discussing the exclusionary rule.
- What is the purpose of the exclusionary rule? Explain.
- Explain the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine. Why is it considered important?
- Currently, do you feel the exclusionary rule limits law enforcement in their ability to fight crime? If so, do you believe the current limitations to be too much? Explain.
- With regard to the U.S. Constitution and civil liberties, what are the arguments for and against the exclusionary rule? Explain.
- Do you believe the exclusionary rule should be kept as it is, kept and modifies, or gotten rid of? Explain your position.
For this assignment, you need to do more than just comment on the other group members’ posts. Each group member needs to engage in a conversation with each of the other group members.
A conversation in this context means that you engage back and forth for at least 3 posts each. All posts must be substantive, meaning they must initiate or continue a dialogue.
Find a recent case (2011 to the present) dealing with the exclusionary rule. Address the following in 300–500 words:
- The basic facts of the case including the state, city, and whether the original trial court was a state or federal court
- The legal issue(s) the court dealt with in the case
- The court’s ultimate legal ruling in the case
- Do you agree with the court’s ruling? Why or why not?
All sources must be referenced using APA style. You should post your individual portion to the Small Group Area, not to the general submitted files area.
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.