SURVEY OF WORLD HISTORY
Competency 1004.1.8: Multicultural Empires and the New World (through 1500 CE) – The graduate analyzes the spread of peoples, ideas, and technologies into new territories as civilizations advanced beyond their borders of origin.
After the fall of the Mediterranean and Asian empires in the first centuries of the Common Era, new civilizations emerged and vied to expand their influence throughout Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. To that end, they engaged in trade, territorial expansion, and even armed conflict, all of which led to increased interaction and exchange.
In this task, you will explain the role of religion in the origins and development of the Crusades. You will also be required to differentiate the methods used by the Umayyad and Abbasid dynasties to expand Islamic civilization. Finally, you will discuss the importance of the Silk Roads in central Asia.
A. Explain the role of religion in the Crusades by doing the following (suggested length of 2-3 paragraphs):
1. Discuss the origins of the Crusades.
2. Describe the methods used by the Roman Catholic Church to promote the Crusades.
B. Differentiate the methods used by the Umayyad and Abbasid dynasties to expand Islamic civilization by doing the following (suggested length of 2-3 paragraphs):
1. Describe the different methods of expansion used by the Umayyad and Abbasid dynasties.
2. Contrast the religious policies and political administration of the Umayyad and Abbasid dynasties.
C. Discuss the significance of the Silk Roads in facilitating one of the following (suggested length of 2-3 paragraphs):
● the sharing of new technology
● the growth of intercontinental trade
● the spread of epidemic diseases
Note: Your response should include information on how the chosen characteristic affected social, political, and/or cultural development in the selected civilizations.
D. Provide acknowledgement of source information, using in-text citations and references, for quoted, paraphrased, or summarized content.
1. Include the following information when providing source references:
• location of information (e.g., publisher, journal, or website URL)
Note: APA citation style is the standard. For tips on using APA style, please refer to the APA Resources web link found under General Information/APA Guidelines in the left-hand panel in Taskstream.
Note: No more than a combined total of 30% of a submission can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from outside sources, even if cited correctly.
Note: For definitions of terms commonly used in the rubric, see the Rubric Terms web link included in the Evaluation Procedures section.
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.