Journal: Evaluating Resources
Personal experience and perception lend a great deal to addressing a social issue. However, as individuals, there are limits to one’s knowledge on any topic. The ability to conduct research on a social issue allows for a more comprehensive perspective on multiple aspects of an issue, insight into the communities impacted, and lessons learned for other like-minded groups who have done similar work.
In this Journal Assignment, you explore the concept Discovery as it relates your group’s research on a social topic.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Consider the assigned readings from the first 3 weeks of this course.
- Review the explanation of Walden University’s DEEP-C Model General Education Learning Outcome “Discovery” in the Syllabus.
- Consider “Discovery” as it relates to the work you are doing in this course.
- Bearing in mind the amount of information that is readily available in current times, think about how people involved in social movements of the past gained information on the social issue and related topics.
Write a 2- to 3-paragraph journal entry in which you address the following questions:
- What appropriate sources of information will be used to support your group’s claims about your topic?
- At this early stage in the process of investigating your topic, what advantages do you see in conducting research to discover various factors associated with the topic?
- In what ways does the ability to conduct research strengthen your group’s approach?
Submit your Assignment by Day 7.
In order to receive full credit, all assignments are due on time. Should you encounter an unanticipated and uncontrollable life event that may prevent you from meeting an assignment deadline, contact the Instructor immediately to request an extension. Your Instructor’s contact information is in the Contact the Instructor area in the left navigation bar. For a full description of the late policy, please refer to the “Policies on Late Assignments” section of your Syllabus
General Education Learning Outcomes (The DEEP-C Model)
Discovery: Students will locate and identify appropriate sources of information using multiple sources and methods, including bibliographic, textual, experiential, and experimental research.
Bullying is my topic
Bullying refers to a purposeful attempt by an individual to control another person using verbal abuse. This verbal abuse can be in the form of threats, teasing, violence, or physical bullying. Bullying can occur in different places such as schools, homes, workplaces, nursing homes, and military camps (Lines, 2008). The causes of bullying include the following. Poor parental example and neglect is the major factor that makes children to engage in this behavior. This is explained by the fact that a good number of bullies come from families where the caregivers or parents are not strict and fail to teach their children on the dangers of using violence or rage to handle problems. Such children usually see physical aggression or verbal attacks as an acceptable and normal behavior. Bullying can also be caused by lack of supervision. In such instances, people are not able to find assistance whenever there is a problem and eventually decide to engage in bullying. An environment where monitoring and discipline are inconsistent is also prone to producing bullies. There are many reasons that explain why people bully. People who come from a culture fascinated with violence, power, and winning use bullying as a technique of seeking power. Even the young people grow up knowing that violence or bullying is an acceptable method of getting what one wants. For people in institutions such as schools, they may want to engage in bullying if they realize that the institution lacks the necessary standards that outline how people are supposed to treat one another. Bullying can also occur in situations where people are given more social recognition for exercising negative behaviors, while ignoring those who portray positive and acceptable behaviors (Garrett, 2003).
Need help with this assignment or a similar one? Place your order and leave the rest to our experts!