For your long paper assignment, you will be asked to write a persuasive paper on a legal or ethical issue of your choice related to the healthcare industry. The topic of the paper needs to be a narrow issue that you can research thoroughly and develop a persuasive position. The requirements for the paper are as follows:
- The paper needs to be typed, double-spaced, and written in 12-point, Times New Roman font. The paper margins need to be 1-inch all around.
- The paper needs to be 8-10 pages and needs to be written in APA format with citations.
- You will need to include a Title, Abstract, Introduction, Body and Conclusion.
- You will need to have at least 5 appropriate and credible references. You will most likely find that you will use several more. They can be books, journal articles, legal documents, medical or law review articles, etc. They can all be found online if you would prefer, just make sure you include a reference to the website so that I can find them when I check your citations. You are always welcome to ask me if you are uncertain about a source! (Wikipedia is never an acceptable source!)
- The paper must be written in Standard English. This means that spelling, grammar, punctuation, subject-verb agreement, and tense all need to be edited and need to be consistent throughout the paper. If you are not fully confident with appropriate grammar within your writing, I would suggest you visit the Writing Center. There are excellent instructors there who are happy to help! I am also more than happy to help!
- Please remember that the paper MUST be persuasive. You may (and should) present both sides of the argument you are making, but you must eventually pick a position and do your very best to convince me that your position is the correct one.
Before beginning the paper, I would encourage you to do several things. First, take a little time to think about topics. Choose a topic that interests you and that you would like to research further. Do a little research into it and see what position you would like to take. Then I would encourage you to send me your idea. I will let you know if I think it needs tweaking. Second, you should make an outline for the paper and write out the main ideas that you want to include in each section of the paper. (You will be turning the outline in to me as an assignment). You will need to do your research first! If you have any questions please ask! PLEASE NOTE: The more detailed your outline, the more useful critique I can provide.
Once you have decided what you want to talk about, work on your outline. I would encourage you to send your outlines to me in any stage of development to look over. Once your outline is finished and you begin writing, feel free to send me drafts to review, paragraphs you think don’t sound quite right, anything at all. I realize that undertaking a paper of this type seems really daunting at first. It is even daunting for me! But if you take it a step at a time and work methodically through it, it will really bring itself together and you will have an excellent product!
If you are not sure where to get started, I would encourage you do some research in the following areas and see what interests you:
Organ donation, organ sale, informed consent, human test subjects, children in clinical trials, medical testing on animals, stem cell research, cloning, genetic testing, patenting, nursing home care, child or elder abuse, The Affordable Care Act, elective vaccinations, circumcision (male or female), religious aspects of refusing (or electing) treatment, etc. Be creative!
You MAY NOT write a paper on the following topics because we cover them so extensively in the course:
- Advocating for legal abortion
- Advocating against legal abortion
- Advocating for legal euthanasia
- Advocating against legal euthanasia
You MAY NOT write a paper attempting to persuade me of something that is a clearly established legal principle not currently up for ethical or legal debate (for example: “Child Abuse is Wrong.”)
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE REMEMBER: This is a PERSUASIVE paper. It is NOT a research paper. You will be doing research, but you will be trying to convince me to take a clear position on an issue.
GENTLE REMINDER: If you wrote a paper for another course on an ethical topic, you need to pick a different topic. If you start to consider turning in a paper that you have written for another course in for this course, please reconsider.
- Paper topics will be due by Week 7 on Sunday at 11:59 pm.
- Paper outlines will be due by Week 10 on Sunday at 11:59 pm.
- As shown in your Course Outline, the completed papers will be due Week 13 on Sunday at 11:59 pm. Barring an emergency situation or prior arrangements, no late papers will be accepted.
You can pick the topic that you like (by Feb.1) . I am not in rush with this paper. Before you finish the essay, I would like to send the outline to my teacher in any stage of development to look over (Feb.2). Once she approves the outline you will be able to begin writing. Before you finish the writing I was also hoping to send my teacher paragraphs for review. If you would like you can finish it all at once, and just send be all together: outline, unedited drafts, and final assay, 8 pages is enough.
Need help with this assignment or a similar one? Place your order and leave the rest to our experts!