Participate in a Culture Walk: One way to observe the culture in your organization is to take a walk through the building to look at some of the signs of culture. For example: How is space allocated? Where are the offices located? Are supervisors located on the top floors or integrated throughout with the other employees? These types of nonverbal cues give a glimpse of the accepted culture of the organization.
For this project, apply concepts of culture as discussed in the reading. Remember, although this project asks for your experience and insights, its main objective is for you to apply the text readings and course concepts to your day to day life within an organization. Do not forget to add text material to support your points and cite your sources with in text citations and a Reference page in proper APA format. The essay should be 700–800 words and include the following elements with details, explanations and examples using the text material to support points.
- Explain which of the three main approaches to organizational culture covered in the reading (practical, interpretive, critical- postmodern) would fit best to describe the culture of your organization.
- How does the main view of organizational culture identified (practical, interpretive, critical- postmodern) affect the communication of the organization?
- How is space allocated? Is there a distinction between the location and size of the office depending on the level of authority in the organization?
- What types of things are posted on bulletin boards or displayed on walls?
- What artifacts are displayed on desks or in other areas of the building? Are family photos or other personal items allowed?
- How are common areas such as lunch rooms utilized? Are people grouped or integrated?
- How do employees communicate with each other? Is the communication predominately formal or informal? What is said in memos or e-mail? What tones are used in the messages (formal or informal, pleasant or hostile, etc.)? How often do people communicate with one another? Is all communication written (e-mail), or do people communicate verbally?
- How is information distributed? Is there a clear delineation of those who are “in the know” (meaning they are given company information) and those who are not “in the know?”
- Do employees socialize outside of the workplace? Are they encouraged or discouraged to do so?
- What are the rituals that are followed?
- Who are the heroines and heroes that are held up as role models? What dominant social culture can you identify? What co-cultures can you identify?
- Provide an overall conclusion on what you noticed about your organization’s culture and if that changed (or maintained) your perception of the organization in general.
- Cite at least three appropriate concepts from the textbook relevant to the cultural studies of organizational communication to support your points.
- Demonstrate accurate application of the concepts related to organizational culture.
- Provide practical examples relevant to the substance of the project.
- Address clearly and identifiably each question posed in the assignment.
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.