For this assignment, you will drafting three documents that are often part of initiating a project: the business case, the project charter, and an initial stakeholder analysis. The Business Case provides decision-makers with the information they need to make an informed decision about whether to approve a project or not.
This assignment is directly linked to the following key learning outcomes from the course syllabus:
- Preparing or working with a business case
- Creating or working with a project charter
- Conducting a stakeholder analysis
In addition to these key learning outcomes, you will also have the opportunity to evidence the following skills through completing this assignment:
- Critical thinking
- Professional writing
- Problem solving
- Quantitative analysis
For this assignment, you be using the attached case study (see attached Case Study) to prepare a business case, create a project charter, and perform an initial stakeholder analysis. Specific templates with instructions have been provided for each of these documents (see attached PJM6000_Wk2_AssignmentTemplate). Here are a few notes on each item:
The case study is fairly straightforward. You are part of a team that is trying to decide whether to use internal or external resources for a training project. As part of this case study, you will not only make a recommendation, but you will ‘charter’ your project by creating a Project Charter. All the information you need is within the case study, but you will be required to draw reasonable conclusion from the case study, as every detail is not present. Please pay particular attention to the financial details provided, as well as, the considerations at the end of the case study, as it provides you with some ‘hints’ about how to consider various items. In a case study such as this, there are a range of good answers. So don’t think that you have to select one option or the other. The key is to accurately analyze the case, and then provide a recommendation that is based on evidence you provide within the business case.
The assignment template contains three separate templates. Please see notes on each below:
- Business Case
- The business case has eight sections that lead you through an analysis of the case study. Instructions are provided within each section, along with sample questions, which act as prompts. The key to doing a good business case is drawing logical conclusions from the information provided. Take the time to read the case study carefully, allowing for reasonable assumptions on your part to complete the business case template. If this is your first time completing something of this nature, make sure to allow yourself sufficient time.
- Project Charter
- The Project Charter template contains many similar sections from the business case with only slight differences or focuses. Therefore, the more thorough your business case, the easier it will be to complete the project charter. Remember that the business case attempts to analyze whether a project should be pursued, while the project charter authorizes the work to begin. So although they have similar information, they serve different purposes. Please note: In most cases, you would submit your business case, and then the sponsor would make a decision. In this scenario, whatever you recommend in your business case, you should assume is what is approved in the project charter.
- Stakeholder Analysis
- At this point, we are only performing an initial stakeholder analysis, there will be many other stakeholders in a project such as this in addition to those mentioned in the case study. But for this analysis, focus on those specifically mentioned or directly implied in the case study. You will have to make some reasonable assumption to complete the analysis, but this is often the case this early in a project.
Below are some key guidelines you will want to ensure you follow in writing the paper. Think of this short list as a quality control checklist, along with the attached grading rubric.
- Each section of template is fully completed
- Calculation supporting conclusions are performed accurately, making use of the financial background data provided
- A clear recommendation is made and supported as part of the business case
- Paper is free of grammatical errors
- Paper is submitted by DUE DATE using the Week 2 Assignment link below these instructions.
Please be sure to review the attached rubric that I will be using to grade the assignment. It along with these assignment instructions will ensure you have a solid understanding of the assignment requirements.
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.