One could say that an agreement between Spain and Portugal in 1494 was the first step in the Age of Imperialism. The nations of Spain and Portugal had begun to move towards war since both wanted control of the same New World territories. As a result of the Treaty of Tordesillas, Spain was granted control of all of the western South American territory (i.e., Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Peru, Mexico, etc.) and Portugal was allowed to develop its vast Brazilian colony without interference.
In the text field below, please provide your response to the following discussion points in 250-500 words. Then, save the file as either .doc or .docx format, and upload the document into the Upload Area for Discussion 4. Please use double-spacing, and include a standard header with your Name, Course, Assignment, and Date.
Try to correct any inaccuracies in the list below as you draft your response to the following question. Once again, you might find it helpful to do a bit of research prior to drafting your essay.
“Do you think that this Treaty served its purpose?”
- England was entirely in agreement with the Treaty provisions.
- The Dutch West Indies Company decided to support fair business practices.
- The US government strongly opposed the Pope’s involvement.
- Spain hired French soldiers to prevent pirates from attacking their New World ships and ports.
- Both Portugal and Spain did all they could to help the natives build up their local economies.
[Hint: They all seem to be at least a bit inaccurate!]
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.