Since we are wrapping up our unit on civil liberties and rights, we can now begin the research process for your paper on a recent Supreme Court decision that has impacted 1st Amendment rights.
Spend time researching the below cases to find the ONE that is most interesting to you. You must select from the list below or you earn points for the research assignment components. Then, on this board, address all of the following:
- Provide a brief summary (background details/context) of the case.
- What did the Supreme Court decide in its ruling on the case? (I emphasize “Supreme Court” here because students may erroneously confuse lower court decisions with the final Supreme Court ruling – do not focus heavily on lower court rulings. You need to write about the Supreme Court decision).
- Finally, share your preliminary thoughts on the Supreme Court’s decision – do you agree or disagree? Explain why. Be more specific than “I agree with the Supreme Court’s decision because it’s the right decision.”
List of Cases:
- Packingham v. North Carolina (2017)
- United States Agency for International Development v. Alliance for Open Society International (2013)
- US v. Alvarez (2012)
You must choose one of the above cases for this assignment. If you choose another case, you will not earn any points for this assignment.
While you are encouraged to respond to your classmates to help them clarify their ideas or let them know they are on the right track, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RESPOND TO OTHER STUDENTS IN THIS FORUM. Only your initial post will count for this discussion. No posts will be accepted after the deadline.
To view a tutorial on how to find the rubric (which you should read before you submit), watch the following video
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.