For this assignment you are required to sit down for a conversation with someone whose religious identity differs from your own The purpose of this exercise is for you to engage with someone else in conversation. That means that you will not only ask questions, but you will hopefully answer questions about your own beliefs, as well.
- Describe your conversation partner’s beliefs. Some things to consider include the following:
- What are the material expressions of their tradition (statues, paintings, music, etc.)?
- Do they see any conflict between the stated beliefs of their tradition and their own beliefs?
- Based on your partner’s description, which theory of the origin of religions (Week 1) offers the best explanation for their approach to religion?
- What challenges can your partner identify that their religious tradition faces in the modern world? Do they feel that their tradition is responding positively?
- Is the tradition focused on belief (orthodoxy) or behavior (orthopraxis)?
- Apply the 8 elements of religion from Week 1.
- Provide some cultural and historical context for the religious tradition of your conversation partner. (It is important that you do some research before you have your conversation so that you are able to ask informed questions that come from genuine interest.) Make sure you use citations in your discussion of what you learned from your research.
- Compare your partner’s beliefs and practices to your own religious upbringing and/or current practice. This is to be done in the report not as a debate with your partner.
- Conclude with your personal reaction to this experience and any additional questions that came up after your conversation. Be kind!
This is a formal academic paper so pay careful attention to the basics of writing a good English composition.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 1000-1200 words (not including title page or references page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
- References page (minimum of 1 scholarly source)
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.