The Cardigans are a very progressive with the way they do business, especially with keeping up with the latest laws and cases that pertain to individual rights and the impact that the laws have on business. They are planning to introduce a new line of clothing called “Scantily Clad” with the slogan, “So light You Won’t Know You are Wearing a Thing!” The local television station WBLAH told Candie Cardigan that it would not air such a commercial due to content. Furthermore, that it was not appropriate for children to view it. The Cardigans believe that this is old law and believe that they are protected under the First Amendment’s Freedom of Speech.
Your supervising attorney, and one of CARDWARE’s Corporate Counsel, Rice E. Roni would like for you to analyze case law in your state as well as the First Amendment Freedom of Speech and determine if the Cardigans have a right to have their commercial aired or not. Be sure to discuss whether or not WBLAH is unreasonably abridging the Cardigans’ rights guaranteed to the individuals under the First Amendment. Your response is to be in the form of a memorandum instructions which are provided below.
Rice E. Roni scribbled a few notes on a sheet of paper to help you with your research.
- Look at the case of Action for Children’s Television v. FCC.
- Please review the 1978 decision of the Supreme Court in Federal Communications Commission v. Pacifica Foundation – See more at:
First Amendment and Censorship. (n.d.).
Please determine if this is good law, or not and whether or not it applies to our situation.
- Be sure to analyze our situation from both a positive and a negative viewpoint so we will know what our strengths and weaknesses are when we insist that our commercial be given air time.
You are the paralegal working for CARDWARE’s corporate counsel and have been asked to draft a 2–3-page double-spaced memorandum to Rice E. Roni, Corporate Counsel of CARDWARE Inc.and discuss the following:
- Your state law and the First Amendment and whether or not the Cardigans have a right to have their commercial aired or not.
- Be sure to discuss whether or not WBLAH is unreasonably abridging the Cardigans’ rights guaranteed to the individuals under the First Amendment.
- Be sure to indicate which case gives us the most support of having the commercial aired.
Checklist Before Submitting Your Assignment
- Read the question and what is being asked of you twice.
- Structure your Assignment in memorandum form.
To: Rice E. Roni, Supervising Attorney, CARDWARE Inc.
From: [Your Name]
- Organize your memorandum with an introduction, body, and conclusion.
Note: Your memorandum length of 2–3 pages is separate from the cover sheet and reference page.
- Keep all font color consistent throughout. If a blue hyperlink appears, remove it by hovering over it and right click. A vertical dropdown menu will appear. Click on Remove Hyperlink.
- Avoid the use of first person.
- Provide in-text citations. If a reference is listed in your reference page, make sure it is displayed within your submission where you retrieved information from.
- Provide hanging indents where needed.
- Double space throughout your submission, including throughout your reference page. Note: This includes between your references.
- Your reference page should be separate from the body of your submission.
- Use Times New Roman size 12 font.
- Provide an APA formatted cover sheet.
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment:
Please label your projects: username-project-unit.doc. For example, a student named Tina Allen would name her file TAllen-CriminalLawEssay-Unit2.doc. Submit your Assignment in Unit 2 Assignment Dropbox by the end of the unit.
Complete the assignment based on the scenario.
Prior to purchasing the ThreeForks Restaurant (3Forks), Henri and Lila have learned that the town has created a town association (TFTA) to maintain the rustic architectural style of the community. As part of the potential purchase, Henri and Lila have received preliminary documents which include the preliminary title report, and the Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&Rs) concerning the property.
Checklist: In essay format, explain the following:
- What are the CC&R’s and how can they affect Henri and Lila’s interest in the real estate?
- The preliminary title report shows utility easements, and an easement allowing the public access to a boat launch ramp on the river. What is the name of the easement for the boat ramp? Then explain how both of these easements affect the possible expansion of the restaurant building?
- Henri and Lila have looked at the property closely and it appears that the neighbor is parking his camper next to the boat ramp on the restaurant property. How will they determine if the neighbor’s camper is encroaching on this restaurant property?
- Henri and Lila have also found out that the local government wants to widen the existing road in front of the restaurant and install street lights along the widened road. How could this discovery affect Henri and Lila’s potential purchase of this land?
Respond to all checklist items thoroughly, in a minimum length of 2-3 pages in APA format, and submit your Assignment to the Dropbox.
Disclaimer: The organization and characters depicted in this exercise are fictional. Any resemblance to real organizations or individuals is purely coincidental.
Need help with this assignment or a similar one? Place your order and leave the rest to our experts!