My topic is shedding more light on the growing obesity problem and obesity prevention in Marion County/Ocala, FL. Marion County is a fairly good sized city where it generally takes a car at all times to get anywhere (instead of the option to walk or bike) because of how far spread out it is. Attached is my list of partners I’ve identified to help with my plan. Ideally, my solutions would be better health and nutrition education in all schools (a food and nutrition course; the possibility of “learning gardens” to teach kids about food and healthy habits; better lunch and vending machine options that are healthy and delicious, that will also make kids excited instead of groan in displeasure) and to create a community health and nutrition co-op to teach adults healthier ways to eat and smarter ways to shop for healthy alternatives (possibly some kind of public transit to help people that cannot make it to fresh food stores on their own). The co-op could offer cooking classes (if in a community center, exercise and activities could be offered as well).
Option #2: The Community Action Plan: Written Report
Your Portfolio Project for this class is a Community Action Plan designed to alleviate or correct a public health issue in your community. Your community can be your business, school, neighborhood, town or city of residence or birth, or county.
For Option #2, your Community Action Plan will be a professional portfolio that includes a written report and a handout.
Final Paper Instructions:
- The final case study should include four sections (Symptoms, Diagnosis, Cure, and Prevention). Each section should be about 1 page in length. Your entire paper must be 4-5 pages in length, not counting the title or reference pages, which must be included.
- You must cite and integrate at least 2 credible sources in each of the four sections of the paper. You may use readings other than the textbook to meet this requirement. The paper should be based on references to scholarly materials (rather than on introductory textbooks, popular website writings, or musings, for example) and should support your claims with evidence.
- List the key community members or partners that you plan on contacting, with an explanation why these individuals or organizations make sense as potential partners. This could include your list of potential partners created in week 4 Critical Thinking Assignment Option #1, or your interview of one key partner completed in week 4 Critical Thinking Option #2.
- Include a special emphasis on the demographics of the affected population.
- Include a realistic timeline for your plan. Discuss the time needed for campaigning, education, funding, building, and implementation. Use ideas created during week 6 Critical Thinking Assignments, either the option for annotated bibliography or that for the brainstorming draft feedback.