Writing Assignment Prompt
This course has provided an overview of the history of Europe from the 18th century to the present day and investigated the political, social, economic, and cultural developments that shaped—and continue to shape—the modern age. We have looked at the evolution of the nation state, industrialization and its impact on society and politics, and the intellectual and artistic responses to the rapid changes these developments inspired. From the Scientific Revolution to contemporary conflicts in Eastern Europe, we have examined the processes and consequences of modernization in Europe.
In consideration of our larger course goals, your final paper should demonstrate:
- A deepened knowledge of Modern European history
- The ability to draw connections across geographic and chronological divides to analyze larger themes
- The skills to analyze and contextualize key events, ideas, and concepts and to effectively convey that through argument-driven academic writing
- The use of primary and secondary sources with a confident and critical eye
For your final assignment, you will write a traditional, argument-driven academic paper on a topic relating to the broader themes covered in our course. Below are a series of prompts; you will choose one question to answer in your paper. Your paper must utilize a combination of at least 3 primary sources (textual, visual, or oral) and at least 4 scholarly, secondary sources (such as: academic articles on JSTOR, textbook chapters, museum websites). Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need assistance finding either type of source.
- What makes Europe “modern”? When does Europe become “modern”?
- What is the relationship between violence and revolution?
- How did ideas about gender shape conversations about citizenship?
- Modern European history is known as the age of “isms:” liberalism, communism, secularism, nationalism, racism, militarism, or imperialism? Choose one and analyze its influence on the events of modern Europe.
|If you have a different topic you are passionate about, you may develop your o choose this option, you must email it to me for approval by Friday, April 22.|
Define and describe the evolution of rights (natural, political, civic, and human) throughout Modern European history.
Need help with this assignment or a similar one? Place your order and leave the rest to our experts!