For this assignment, you will be creating a 14–18 slide PowerPoint presentation examining social policies related to the crime and victim you analyzed in Unit 3.
Imagine that you are a professional advocate, law enforcement officer, or community activist presenting recommendations for social policy to a committee in your community. Include a title slide and reference slide or slides and complete the following:
- Provide an overview of the crime and victim. (You can summarize your work from the Unit 3 assignment by rewriting it in a format applicable to the presentation. Avoid simply copying and pasting your previous description.)
- Summarize the personal consequences of the crime. Again you may summarize your previous work without copying and pasting. (Paraphrase and summarize what you previously wrote in a format applicable for a PowerPoint presentation.)
- Analyze the social consequences of the crime. Build off of your description of the social consequences of the crime in the previous assignment to analyze the impact the crime has on society. What are the costs of the crime to society? Address the impact of the crime on multiple systems, for example the criminal justice system, social services, mental health centers, schools (if applicable), and so forth.
- Explain specific social policies and how they influence the rights of the victim. Consider current social policies and other relevant policies, such as those in the arenas of healthcare, the workplace, and law enforcement response that are relevant to the victim with whom you were working, and the response the victim received from various aspects of the system (such as law enforcement, advocacy programs, prosecutor’s office, the court, mental health services, and so forth). Present at least two social policies that are relevant to the response your victim has received. Consider in what ways and to what extent the policies were effective and ineffective in assisting the victim. Policies that impact victims may be found in areas such as the following:
- Healthcare policies.
- Social response policies, such as access to shelters or other alternative housing, community advocacy programs, and so forth.
- Educational policies.
- Public assistance policies, such as those that impact access to victims’ compensation.
- Law enforcement policies.
- Workplace or employment policies, such as those that define and allow access to employee assistance programs.
- Apply victimology theories for understanding specific social policies. Refer to the theories that you learned about earlier in the course. Describe how the theories seem to explain the foundation of the law and resulting social policies. Explain how the theories help to guide the definition, purpose, scope, and features of the policies. (For example, specific aspects of the routine activities theory might help to guide security policies on college campuses by acknowledging that students who walk across campus after late evening classes or leaving on-campus jobs late at night, through no fault of their own, will be at greater risk and will need additional security options.)
- Finally, recommend changes to social policy based on theory and research. Your recommendation may be to keep, modify, or terminate a policy. Be sure to support your decision with concrete information that demonstrates why this policy should remain as is, be revised, or thrown out altogether. Support your thinking with at least two scholarly research articles no more than five years old, and professional sources that are needed to provide information on the policies, theory, and other foundational information you may need to support your presentation. Consider how victims of the crime would be better served based on the recommendation.
- Written communication: Writing should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Your references should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
- Length: Your presentation should be about 14–18 slides including the title and references slide.
- References: Your presentation should include a minimum of two scholarly sources, and two professional sources, such as textbooks and professional Web sites.
- Turnitin: You are required to submit your paper to Turnitin prior to submitting it for grading
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.