Course objective 1 Describe selected historical and contemporary trends and issues that have influenced the development and practice of nursing (PO6, PO9)
Course objective 2 Examine one’s own values, beliefs, and biases as they relate to professional nursing practice and ability to provide patient-centered care to diverse populations (PO6, PO7, PO9).
Course objective 3 Describe the roles and scope of practice of the professional nurse (PO1, PO5, PO6, PO7, PO9)
Course objective 4 Discuss how selected nursing theoretical works guide the practice of nursing (PO9)
This written assignment will allow you to reflect on your beliefs about nursing. Writing your philosophy of nursing will reveal your professional and personal growth over time as you compare previous versions of your philosophy.
Think about the following before you start writing your paper.
You have learned about various theoretical works in nursing including Nightingale’s Environmental Theory, and Jean Watson Philosophy and Science of Caring, Orem’s Self-Care Deficit Theory of Nursing among others. Which nursing theory most closely matches your beliefs? Why are philosophies of nursing, conceptual models, grand theories, and middle-range theories important to nursing? Why did you choose nursing as your profession? What do you believe is the core of nursing? What is the focus of nursing? To live out your philosophy, what should you keep in mind about your patients, families, environment?
This paper reflects your own values and world view, therefore there are no right or wrong answers.
Paper must be written in APA style.
Paper should be between 5-7 pages excluding cover page and references.
Address the following topics in your paper
- Your educational and professional background, reasons for returning to school, current practice specialty, and professional goals.
- Individuals who have influenced your views about nursing
- Your philosophy of nursing
- Nursing metaparadigm: your definition of nursing, human beings, the environment, and health
- Your beliefs: Is healthcare a right or privilege? What are the roles of the nurse? What are your thoughts about nursing education?
- Trends and current issues affecting nursing
- Where is nursing going? What can you do to advance nursing?
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.