Leadership is best learned by observing effective leaders and deciding which style of leadership works best in the climate and culture of an institution. The unit readings detail real situations that exemplify both successful and failed leadership in higher education, and your own investigations will help you discover what works when leading in colleges and universities.
For this 1 page discussion, describe a situation that demonstrates effective leadership in an organization with which you are familiar. To maintain confidentiality, use titles of positions rather than names. Relate your experience to at least two items in the unit readings—for example, how did this situation involve the internal and external environments of the organization? Was the person sensing signals? Was collaboration involved?
Use current edition APA reference style to cite your sources
Northouse, P. G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and practice (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Chapter 1, “Introduction,” pages 1–18.
Bolman, L. G., & Gallos, J. V. (2011). Reframing academic leadership. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Part I, “Leadership Epistemology: When You Understand, You Know What to Do,” pages 1–2.
- Chapter 1, “Opportunities and Challenges in Academic Leadership,” pages 3–14.
- Chapter 2, “Sensemaking and the Power of Reframing,” pages 15–30.
- Chapter 3, “Knowing What You’re Doing: Learning, Authenticity, and Theories of Action,” pages 30–46.
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.