200 word Min.
Parents demonstrate varying levels of warmth, expectations for adherence to rules, and openness of communication with children. Understanding the characteristics and outcomes associated with parenting styles can guide you in helping parents develop the most effective skills for raising their children.
Use your textbook, the University online library resources, and the Internet to review the following parenting styles: authoritarian, authoritative, permissive (Baumrind, 1971), and disengaged (Novak & Pelaez, 2004). After reviewing the styles, answer the following questions:
- Which parenting style or styles did your parents use? Describe the impact on your development.
- If you are a parent, which style have you seen to be most or least effective?
- If you are not a parent, which style do you imagine you would use? Discuss the impact of various aspects of culture on parenting styles. Are there some cultural groups that would benefit from one style of parenting more than others?
Support your answers with research and developmental theory. Consider outcomes to Erikson’s stages for each parenting style. For example, which style is most likely to produce a positive outcome during the stage of trust versus mistrust? How would each parenting style impact psychosocial development according to Erikson?
- By the due date assigned, post your responses to this Discussion Area in a minimum of 200 words. Your response should rely upon at least two sources from professional literature. This may include the University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, or .gov). Write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources (i.e., APA format); and use accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Through the end of the module, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. While responding, draw comparisons between the examples you provided and the examples submitted by your classmates, and provide a rationale for the comparisons.