For this assignment students will choose a current or previous case from his or her own field work and create demonstrate the ability to define a discrete problem, select an intervention, and generate a plan of care. Papers should be 8-10 pages and written in APA format. (Competencies 1, 6 & 8). This assignment is comprised of 3 parts: 2 Milestone assignments, and the final paper. Please refer to the full case study outline in the appendix of this syllabus.
Assignment 1: In one paragraph
(4-6 sentences) identify the current or previous client you will be using for
your case study paper, and
articulate one presenting
problem area you will be focusing on throughout your case study. (5% of grade)
- Milestone Assignment 2: Submit a bibliography containing 4-5 peer reviewed sources related to specific interventions relevant to your client’s presenting problem. (5% of grade)
- Final Paper: Drawing from the Milestone 1 assignment, complete an 8-10 page paper in APA format. Refer to the appendix for the full case study outline (30% of grade)
This Final Assignment is split into 3 components: 2 milestone assignments (each worth 5% of grade), and the final paper (30% of grade). The milestone assignments both work up to the final assignment, which is a Case Study (8/10 pages, APA required, with appropriate references). This assignment will involve use of a current or previous case from your field internship.
For this paper, think back to our discussion of Carla’s case that is presented in the O’Hare text, Chapter 7 as a helpful guide. This review is as an orientation to working on developing a case study that involves a Case Service Plan (as a diagram) based on application of evidence that informs practice.
Milestone 1 (5% of grade): In one paragraph (4-6 sentences) identify the current or previous client you will be using for your case study paper, and articulate one presenting problem area you will be focusing on throughout your case study. Examples of appropriate presenting problems include: substance use, depression, anger, homelessness
Milestone Assignment 2 (5% of grade): Submit a bibliography containing 4-5 peer reviewed sources related to specific interventions relevant to the client’s presenting problem articulated in Milestone 1.
Final Paper Format (30% of grade)
Section I. Please provide an introduction in outline form
- Service Context/ Setting
- Modality (individual, group, family)
- Your Role
- Client(s) Description (Age, Gender, Family Structure, etc)
- Length of time working together
- Number of Times you have Met
- Presenting problem(s) from both of yours and the client’s perspective (ex, substance use, depression, homelessness).
- Describe Your Therapeutic Alliance with Your Client
- Present data that demonstrates the client’s strengths, risk and protective factors, including barriers impacting treatment
- What are the client’s goals for treatment?
- Conclude this section with a brief case
formulation based on an assessment of the client, their situation and
their involvement in the change process.
- Use evidence that informs understanding of your client’s need, their capacity to learn, grow, change, with agreed upon priorities (evidence can come from the client, client system, your assessment, and the literature).
- Discuss your first priority for treatment (ie, where will you begin to intervene?), and justify this decision with evidence.
- Based on your prioritized problem area, engage in a review of the literature and discuss at least two potential interventions that could be used to address the client’s presenting problem. Describe the intervention, and discuss the evidence supporting its effectiveness for this client (given culture, age, race, religion etc.) and their specific presenting problem. Cite at least 5 peer reviewed sources.
- Remember that this literature review should focus on interventions, or evidence based practices, not discrete skills or strategies. For example, CBT is an intervention, active listening is a skill.
- Keeping in mind culture, environmental factors, and client preferences, conclude by selecting one of these two interventions as your primary treatment intervention. Discuss your reasons for this decision.
- Conclude a client service plan using this assessment and case formulation. (See examples of service plans the O’Hare case example).
- Following the example presented by O’Hare, Present the Client Service Plan in the form of a Table as shown below
|Problem||Goals||Objectives||Interventions||Assessment & Evaluation Tools||Skills & Strategies Supporting Intervention||Anticipated Outcomes|
Section IV. Critique of your work
1. Discuss how your work has been culturally responsive, OR if has concluded, what you did or would have done differently in order to be more culturally responsive.
2. Assess your work with the client that includes evidence of outcomes. Note that
this should be in line with the assessment and evaluation table presented in the
client service plan. How have you with your client evaluated progress or goal
3. If your work with your client has not concluded, review next steps with this client based on what has worked and what you want to do differently OR if your work has concluded: What was helpful? What would you do differently? What contributes to this critique?
Do you need help with this assignment? Or a different one? We got you covered.